Kate Winslet (...more info, gifs and photos)



 Trivia 
Kate met her now ex-1st husband Jim Threapleton on the set of her movie Hideous Kinky(1998), where he was working as an assistant director.

Won Best Spoken Word Album for Children, Grammy Awards, shared with Graham Greene.

Turned down the Gwyneth Paltrow role in Shakespeare enamorado (1998) and the Jodie Foster role in Ana y el rey (1999).
At age 11, she began attending the acting school Redroofs in Maidenhead, England, UK.

Sister of Anna Winslet, Joss Winslet and Beth Winslet. Kate is the second child.

Her first acting job was dancing with the Honey Monster in a commercial for Sugar Puffs cereal.

Nominated for Best Supporting Actress, Manchester Evening News Award for her theatre role in "What the Butler Saw" as Geraldine Barclay.
Chosen by People (USA) magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World.

She has a younger brother: Joss Winslet.

Parents: Roger Winslet (actor) and Sally Bridges-Winslet.

After her first success in the film Criaturas celestiales (1994), a reviewer predicted that she would always be associated with that character and would never be a big star.
Recorded a song for the soundtrack for the movie Cuento de Navidad, de Charles Dickens(2001). Producers were so impressed at her efforts they have decided to release the ballad - called "What If?" - as a single. It reached the top ten in the United Kingdom, peaking at number six. [June 2001]

(September 3, 2001) Announced that she and husband Jim Threapleton are separating.

Purchased a $3 million (US) home in London with boyfriend (later husband) Sam Mendes. They also bought a home in New York City.
She holds a unique position in Academy Awards history: Only twice have two actresses been nominated for playing the same character in the same film. The first two were Gloria Stuart and Kate in Titanic (1997). The second two were Judi Dench and Kate in Iris(2001).

Married director Sam Mendes in a private ceremony whilst on holiday in the West Indies. [May 2003]

Daughter Mia's name is Italian for "my".

Prefers to wear boots rather than ordinary shoes because it makes her feel that her feet are "firmly on the ground".
Missed the premiere of Titanic (1997) because she was attending the funeral of close friend and former boyfriend, Stephen Tredre.

Resides in both London, England and New York City, USA. However, her main home is in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, England.

Has a nephew, George. His mother is Beth Winslet.

Sprained her ankle on the set of Romance & Cigarettes (2005). [May 2004]
She sold her North London home in Belsize Park to Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin.

Was considered for the role of Bridget Jones in El diario de Bridget Jones (2001), but it was then decided she was too young to portray the role.

On the day she had to film the straitjacket scene in Hamlet de Kenneth Branagh (1996), she learned she had won the role of Rose DeWitt Bukater in Titanic (1997).
While serving as host of Saturday Night Live (1975) one week after Ashlee Simpson's "recorded song malfunction", she opened the show by singing and dancing live.

Was born in the same hospital as her ex-husband, Sam Mendes.

Filmed her 2005 American Express commercial in Camden Town, London, England.

First screen kiss was with Melanie Lynskey in Criaturas celestiales (1994).
Her performance as Clementine Kruczynski in ¡Olvídate de mí! (2004) is ranked #81 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).

Her daughter Mia had to be delivered by Cesarean section, which made Kate feel she hadn't given birth properly. She admitted to it only after giving birth to her son Joe (who had been delivered naturally).

Was offered the role of Eowyn in El señor de los anillos: Las dos torres (2002), which went to Miranda Otto.
Kate married Sam Mendes, who was childhood friends with Tom Hollander, with whom he went to Cambridge University and whom he directed in several plays. Tom and Kate were both in the film Enigma (2001).

Nominated for Best Supporting Actress, Premiere Magazine for Sentido y sensibilidad(1995)).

Won Best Film Actress, Smash Hits Magazine.

Won Sexiest Actress, Entertainment Insider Awards.
Won Film Actress of the Year, Variety Club of Great Britain.

Nominated for Best Actress, Roughcut.com Internet Movie Award for Holy Smoke (1999).

When interviewed on Good Morning America (1975) to promote her film Vacaciones(2006), they surprised her by showing a clip which was supposedly Winslet on the Sugar Puff Commercial in 1987. However, the girl in the clip shown was not her. Winslet did not point out the error because she did not want to embarrass the researcher and get the person fired. She was then praised by the media for her caring and consideration of other people.
Her performance in ¡Olvídate de mí! (2004) is her personal favorite.

Along with Claude Rains (for El señor Skeffington (1944)), Vanessa Redgrave (for Julia(1977)), Mare Winningham (for Georgia de Ulu Grosbard (1995)) and Philip Seymour Hoffman (for The master (2012)), she is one of the few performers to be nominated for an Supporting Oscar (for Iris (2000)) for playing the title role in a movie. As of 2013, Redgrave is the only one to win.

As of January 2009, she is the youngest actress to rack up 6 Academy Award nominations.
Won Best Actress, Toronto Film Festival for Criaturas celestiales (1994), shared withMelanie Lynskey.

Runner-Up for Best Actress, New York Film Critics Circle for Holy Smoke (1999).

Nominated for Best Supporting Actress, Rec.Arts.Movies.* Critics Circle for Quills (2000).

Runner-Up for Best Actress, National Society of Film Critics for Holy Smoke (1999).
Runner-Up for Best Actress, New York Film Critics Circle for ¡Olvídate de mí! (2004).

Chris Tookey, of the British newspaper "Daily Mail", chose her as Best Actress of the Year for her roles in Vacaciones (2006) and Juegos secretos (2006).

Is a huge fan of Rufus Wainwright's CD, "Poses" (mentioned in one of her ads for AmEx).

Nominated for Best Actress in a Dramatic Performance, Excellent Dynamic Activism (EDA) Awards/The Alliance of Women Journalists for Juegos secretos (2006).
In an interview for the London Evening Standard, she revealed she has taken a year off (from April 2006 to April 2007) from her career, to spend more time with her family.

Official Celebrity Spokesperson for Lancôme.

Her children refer to very close friend Leonardo DiCaprio as "Uncle Leo". He also bought Kate an inscribed gold ring, after they filmed Revolutionary Road (2008). However, Winslet keeps the inscription a secret.
Chosen by People Magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful in the World.

Auditioned for the role of Elizabeth in Kenneth Branagh's Frankenstein de Mary Shelley(1994). Helena Bonham Carter got the role, but Branagh was so impressed by Winslet that he offered her the role of Ophelia in Hamlet de Kenneth Branagh (1996).

Involved, along with Sherilyn FennRufus SewellMiranda Richardson and Paul McGann in the 1998 film project "Johnny Hit and Run Pauline". The film was to be executive produced by Emma Thompson, and written and directed by Fay Efrosini Lellios. The shooting was set to start in June 1998 in New Hampshire. The film was canceled due to financial withdrawal.
Placed third equal (with Anne Hathaway) for Best Actress, New York Film Critics Circle forRevolutionary Road (2008).

Vacaciones (2006) was the first movie that Kate used her own accent and didn't develop a special voice for her character.

Sister-in-law of Edmund Harcourt.

Only the third person in history to win two acting Golden Globes in the same year (Best Actress, Drama for Revolutionary Road (2008) and Best Supporting Actress for El lector(2008)).
As of 2009, she is only one of six performers who won a Golden Globe Award as Best Lead Actor/Actress in a Motion Picture Drama without being nominated for an Oscar for that same role (hers for Revolutionary Road (2008)). The others are Spencer Tracy in La actriz (1953), Anthony Franciosa in Los ambiciosos (1959), Omar Sharif in Doctor Zhivago(1965), Shirley MacLaine in Madame Sousatzka (1988), Jim Carrey in El show de Truman (Una vida en directo) (1998). However, of those six performers, Winslet is the only one to be nominated and win an Academy Award for a leading role but for a different role, in a same year.
The producers of the El lector (2008) tried to promote Winslet as Supporting Actress during the Oscar race 2009 in order to enhance her chances to get nominated twice (for Best Supporting Actress for El lector (2008) and Best Lead Actress for her role inRevolutionary Road (2008)). The Academy overthrew this plan by nominating Winslet for Best Lead Actress for her performance in El lector (2008), leaving aside her performance in Revolutionary Road (2008), although she won several other award nominations in both categories for the respective movies. According to Academy rules, an actor is eligible for only one nomination in a single category.
Is one of 11 actresses to have won the Academy Award, BAFTA Award, Critics' Choice Award, Golden Globe Award and SAG Award for the same performance. The others in chronological order are Julia Roberts for Erin Brockovich (2000), Renée Zellweger for Cold Mountain (2003), Reese Witherspoon for En la cuerda floja (2005), Helen Mirren for La reina (2006), Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls (2006), Mo'Nique for Precious (2009),Natalie Portman for Cisne negro (2010), Octavia Spencer for Criadas y señoras (2011),Anne Hathaway for Los miserables (2012) and Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine (2013).
Was originally cast as Nola Rice in Woody Allen's Match Point (2005), but dropped out at the last minute, so she could spend her time with her child. The role went to Scarlett Johansson.

Was considered for the role of Satine in Moulin Rouge (2001) but Nicole Kidman, who went on to receive a Best Actress Oscar nomination for her performance, was cast instead.

Returned to work 11 months after giving birth to her daughter Mia in order to begin filming La vida de David Gale (2003).
Returned to work 5 months after giving birth to her son Joe in order to begin filmingRomance & Cigarettes (2005).

Born at 7:15 am-BST.

(March 15, 2010) Announced that she had separated amicably from husband Sam Mendestwo months previously.

Is just 12 years older than Evan Rachel Wood, who played her daughter on Mildred Pierce(2011).
Virgin Group billionaire Richard Branson credited Kate with 'helping to carry' his 90-year-old mother out of his burning Caribbean-island house, where Winslet, her boyfriend 'Ned Rocknroll' and her two children were staying. [August 2011]

Ranked as having one of the "Most Beautiful Famous Faces" by "The Annual Independent Critics List of the 100 Most Beautiful Famous Faces From Around the World" for 17 consecutive years. She was ranked #55 in 2013, #65 in 2012, #50 in 2011, #31 in 2010, #22 in 2009, #12 in 2008, #15 in 2007, #18 in 2006, #21 in 2005, #13 in 2004, #11 in 2003, #14 in 2002, #4 in 2001, #11 in 2000, #20 in 1999, #17 in 1998, and #27 in 1997.
She was awarded the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2012 Queen's Birthday Honours List for her services to drama.

Kate was the first actress considered for the role of River Song in Doctor Who (2005). The role went to Alex Kingston.

(November 22, 2012) Was awarded the CBE, by Queen Elizabeth II, for her services to acting.

(December 26, 2012) Announced that she and Ned Rocknroll, whom she has been engaged to since July 2012, married in a secret ceremony in New York with just Winslet's children, Mia and Joe, and 6 friends present. Leonardo DiCaprio gave the bride away.

Niece-in-law of Richard Branson.
One of her maternal great-great-grandfathers, Alfred Lidman, was Swedish.

Was working in a deli when she landed her first film role, Criaturas celestiales (1994).

She has appeared on more than 300 magazine covers around the world.

Gave birth to her 1st child at age 25, a daughter Mia Honey Threapleton on October 12, 2000. Child's father is her now ex-1st husband, Jim Threapleton.

Wrote the book "The Golden Hat: Talking Back To Autism" to raise awareness and support for autism. The book has personal statements and self-portraits from various celebrities like Leonardo DiCaprioMarion Cotillard and Michael Caine. All revenues will go to The Golden Hat Foundation, a non-profit organization founded by Winslet. [2012].
As of 2014, has appeared in four films that were nominated for the Best Picture Oscar:Sentido y sensibilidad (1995), Titanic (1997), Descubriendo Nunca Jamás (2004) and El lector (2008). Titanic (1997) won in the category.

Gave birth to her 2nd child at age 28, a son Joe Alfie Winslet Mendes on December 22, 2003. Child's father is her now ex-2nd husband, Sam Mendes.

Gave birth to her 3rd child at age 38, a son Bear Blaze Winslet on December 7, 2013. Child's father is her 3rd husband, Ned Rocknroll.
Gave her 3rd son name Bear after her old friend's nickname and a nickname Blaze because she and her husband met in a house fire.

She was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6262 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on March 17, 2014.

Turned down the female lead role in Transcendence (2014) due to her dual conflicts withA Little Chaos (2014) and Divergente (2014). Rebecca Hall got the role instead.

Was the 134th actress to receive an Academy Award; she won the Best Actress Oscar forEl lector (2008) at The 81st Annual Academy Awards (2009) on February 22, 2009.
Completed on filming A Little Chaos (2014) when she was three months pregnant with her son, Bear Blaze.

Was five months pregnant with her third child, Bear Blaze, while filming Divergente(2014). Despite only being on set for four weeks, it got to a point where shooting above her waist was required as well as her carrying folders, files and iPads to cover the bump in master shots.

Returned to work 5 months after giving birth to her son Bear, to begin filming Insurgent(2015). [May, 2014].

 Personal Quotes 
[About her screen debut in Criaturas celestiales (1994)]: I was reading the script in the back of the car and I turned to my dad and yelled, "I've GOT to get this!" And he replied, "Then you will." And I thought, "Yep, that's it. I'm bloody well going to." And that was it. I was so determined. It was something crucial to my life. I just so communicated with her, the story and their relationship. And when I found out, I just couldn't believe it. I was so happy, I cried. I remember I was working part-time at a deli at the time because I didn't have any money and was in the middle of making a sandwich when they phoned and said I'd got the job. I burst into tears and had to leave work because I couldn't control myself. It was absolutely brilliant.
In 2002, she had this to say about doing nude scenes: I like exposing myself. There's not an awful lot that embarrasses me. I'm the kind of actress that absolutely believes in exposing myself.

I'd rather do theatre and British films than move to L.A. in hopes of getting small roles in American films.

It's very important for me to make the statement that I am English and just because I've done one really big film, it doesn't mean that I don't want to keep a finger in the fantastic British film industry and do films like this.

About her spur-of-the-moment marriage to Sam Mendes - We hadn't been planning to do it but we thought it was rather a good idea, so we just did it.

After Titanic (1997), it would have been completely foolish for me to go and try and top that. I'm an English girl, I've always loved England, I've never felt the desire to leave it for any particular reason. And whilst I'm ambitious and care very much about what I do, I'm not competitive. I also don't want to act every day of my life. ... So it was important to me after Titanic (1997) to just remind myself of why it was that I was acting in the first place, which is of course because I love it.
Since I was 13 or 14, I've always felt older than I actually am.

I was on the tube just before Christmas and this girl turned round to me and said, "Are you Kate Winslet?". And I said, "Well, yes. I am actually." And she said, "And you're getting the tube?" And I said, "Yes". And she said, "Don't you have a big car that drives you around?" And I said, "No". And she was absolutely stunned that I wasn't being driven round in some flash car all the time. It was ludicrous.

People say to me, "You seem to have made this conscious decision to do independent films." In reality, I haven't. After each movie, I always think, how different can I possibly be?... Is this going to challenge me, is this going to inspire me, and is this going to make me love my job more than I already do?
There is no way we are going to move out of England. Some might think that we want to live in Hollywood but that is not what we want at all. We will go and live in New York when it is necessary because of work but we prefer to be in England. I'm proud to be English - we both are. It's very important to me to retain that. I am an English girl and I love England. I have never felt the desire to leave. I am still ambitious and I will have to travel and live elsewhere because of that but England is always home.

On a scene from the movie Holy Smoke (1999): It was a difficult scene. When I read the script and I saw this scene was there, I laughed hysterically. I just couldn't believe it. When it came to shooting it, I had been sort of putting it off, and pretending it wasn't going to happen. And suddenly, I am there naked, peeing and thinking "Oh no!" It was really hard to do, but I've always loved the fact that it was there, and it's such a sort of turning point for the character I play in the movie that I've always felt sort of good, that it should be there.
On receiving her 4th Oscar nomination: I can't believe it. I am ecstatic! This nomination means so much to me. To be remembered for a film that was released a while ago, I am unbelievably honoured and completely overwhelmed.

There's more to life than cheekbones.

Mum and dad were very much friends, and up to life. There was no anxiety for anything when I was growing up, they just taught me to be me.

Life is short, and it is here to be lived.

Loving someone is setting them free, letting them go.
I don't know if it's a skill, but I have been really lucky. I've always got on with every actor I've had to work opposite. I just always try and be as accepting of that person as I possibly can, and remain non-judgmental about their process, because every actor works in a different way.

I was a wayward child, very passionate and very determined. If I made up my mind to do something, there was no stopping me.

On going to the 1996 Oscars: Emma Thompson said to me "Listen, it's honestly just like going to see a fantastic show", and actually it really is, because there are so many people to look at and all those fabulous frocks and it's really fascinating. But mum and dad and I did kind of amble through it a bit, a bit like the Beverly Hillbillies, getting out the car, my mum stepping on my dress and I'm going "Mum, mum!".
I'm really proud of being English, because I learned my job in England, in English films with English actors. But I never dared dream of such a success... it's more than a dream. I realize it's extraordinary for a British actress. I feel good, but guilty at the same time, cause I wish I could share this emotion with all my British actors' friends... I play the main character in the most expensive and probably successful film, but that's not a good reason to leave England and become a superstar. Not at all.

It seems daft that I'm famous and I've not really got to grips with that.

[November 2000] On taking chances in Hollywood: If you're not still learning and growing as an actor, then you have no backbone and no career.
My skin still crawls if you call me a movie star. I get embarrassed. I think, don't be ridiculous. Maybe it's because I'm British. To me, Julia Roberts that's a movie star. But when people do call me one, that, I think, is an enormous compliment but, my God, is that a responsibility!

[About being nominated in the same category as superstar Meryl Streep] It feels unbelievable to be mentioned in the same breath as fellow actress Meryl Streep. It's inconceivable to me that this would even happen in my lifetime at all. It's such a dream.  (Gifs and photos: source_Tumblr)



 Salary 


Titanic (1997) $2.000.000
Holy Smoke (1999) £360.000
Quills (2000) £450.000
Enigma (2001) £300.000
Finding Neverland (2004) £6.000.000
Movie 43 (2013) $1.600

return