Janet Jackson (info)

Janet Jackson

Janet Damita Jo Jackson was born on May 16, 1966 in Gary, Indiana, to Katherine Jackson(née Katherine Esther Scruse) and Joe Jackson, a musician. She is the youngest of ten children. After her birth, her brothers formed a band later called The Jackson 5. She lived at home with her sisters, while her brothers and father lived an extravagant life in Los Angeles. She later moved in with them while her brothers were making a name for themselves, and signed a deal with Motown. Janet was in the shadow but later also made a name for herself.

As she was touring, and making appearances with her brothers, and the rest of the family, she co-starred with the rest of them in "The Jacksons". In 1977, she got the part of Penny Gordon on "Good Times". That showed her acting abilities early on. She also made a few memorable appearances on the hit TV show "Diff'rent Strokes" as Charlene Dupree. Soon afterwards came her role on "Fame".

She married boyfriend James Debarge, but they divorced just months later. She signed with A&M Records, and recorded her first solo album titled "Janet Jackson". The album did poorly on the music charts. Two years later she recorded "Dream Street" which turned out to be another disaster. A year later she signed on Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis to record a third album, this time called "Control". It was a hit, selling 5 million copies in the U.S. alone, spawning six hits, and the #1 "When I Think of You". Afterwards, she fired her father, her manager to truly gain control.

Janet was determined to make this happen again. She then recorded "Rhythm Nation 1814". This time it sold 9 million copies in the U.S. - a bigger hit than "Control"! She happened to fall in love with a dancer named René Elizondo, Jr. from one of her sister's, LaToya Jackson's music video and later secretly married him in March of 1991. That same year she got a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. Janet went to work on her fifth album simply called "Janet.". It was her biggest hit to date selling over 10 million copies in the U.S. alone and includes her biggest hit single to date, "That's The Way Love Goes". Two years later she released a Greatest Hits album "Design of a Decade" which included two new hits "Runaway", and "Twenty-Foreplay". Her seventh album "The Velvet Rope" clarified her pop culture status.

In the midst of the release of The Velvet Rope, she divorced Rene Elizendo, which is when it emerged they had been secretly married for eight years. Janet recorded her eighth album "All For You". Another hit. She was honored by MTV as an MTV Icon. In 2004, Janet went to work on her next album "Damita Jo" - it was another hit. - IMDb Mini Biography By: Anonymous



Spouse
Wissam Al Mana (2012 - present)
Rene Elizondo (31 March 1991 - 13 March 2000) (divorced)
James DeBarge (7 September 1984 - 18 November 1985) (annulled) 




Trade Mark 
Her smile




Trivia 
With her 1986 song "When I Think of You", she and her brother, Michael Jackson, became the first siblings in the rock era to have #1 songs as soloists.

Sister of Rebbie JacksonJackie JacksonTito JacksonJermaine JacksonLa Toya JacksonMarlon JacksonRandy Jackson and Michael Jackson.

She was paid $3 million for El profesor chiflado II: La familia Klump (2000). She was paid an extra $1 million for the song "Doesn't Really Matter" for the NP2 soundtrack.

Janet's highly anticipated eighth album "All For You" is released. [April 2001]

Voted one of "The 10 Sexiest Women of 2001" by the readers of Black Men Magazine.

Aunt of Jermaine Jackson II,Valencia JacksonBrittany JacksonMarlon Jackson Jr.Prince MichaelPrince Michael II and Paris Jackson.

Ex-sister-in-law of El DeBarge.

The last five of her eight albums (excluding her first two albums "Janet Jackson," "Dream Street" and her greatest hits album "Design of a Decade: 1986 -1996") have all hit #1.

Was to appear as Lena Horne in a biopic due to be released in 2004. But Lena changed her mind after the SuperBowl "breast-baring" incident.

Ranked #77 on VH1's 100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll

During the half-time show of Super Bowl XXXVIII (38) in February 2004, her right breast was "accidentally" exposed when co-performer Justin Timberlake reached around and grabbed a detachable part of her breastplate-like outfit. They admit that they privately planned the move after rehearsals had ended, but still maintain that the exposure was accidental in that a red bra was to be revealed, not her bare breast.

Attended Lanai Road School.

Attended Portola Middle School in Tarzana, California. Was teased and harassed by kids because of her fame on Good Times.

Graduated from Valley Professional School, an institution where most children were entertainers or actors. Class of 1984.

Her nickname "Dunk" was coined to describe her sturdy body, which her brother Michael claimed remsembled a donkey.

Negotiated a new, $80 million recording contract with Virgin Records in 1996.

She is the only woman singer in the history of Rock & Roll to score 5 back to back #1 studio albums on the Billboard Album's chart. "Control", "Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation", "Janet", "The Velvet Rope" and "All For You" all reached #1, together selling more than 60 million copies worldwide. Her albums "Design of A Decade" and "Damita Jo" both reached top 3.

Has 4 dogs: Riley (a Rottweiler); Dylan (a Boxer); Madison (a miniature Schnauzer) and Pockets (an Australian shepherd-cross).

Favorite singers: Ella Fitzgerald and Marvin Gaye

Won 9 Billboard Awards in 1990 for Rhythm Nation 1814.

Vocal range: 2nd soprano, her top note is an "e"

Her first self-titled album peaked at #63 on Billboard's Top 200 Albums and sold a disappointing 250,000 copies.

Her sophomore album "Dream Street" reached #147 on Billboard and sold only 200,000 copies.

Her third album "Control" sell over 10 million worldwide and produced five top 5 hits including Nasty, Let's Wait Awhile, and the #1 When I Think Of You.

Rhythm Nation 1814 spend four weeks being #1 on both Pop and R&B charts in the USA. It sold another 10 million worldwide and the singles were even more successful. The album spawned seven top 5 hits including 4 #1s.

The album "Janet" produced six top 10 hits and sold over 15 million copies.

Eloped with singer James DeBarge, in 1984 and lived in the Jackson's Encino ranch for several months before she had the marriage annulled.

Is the #2 most successful artist on the Billboard Dance/Club Play Chart, behind only Madonna.

Her first biography was released in 1977 as a joint biography about her and brother Randy Jackson.

Daughter of Joe Jackson and Katherine Jackson

Became the first artist to score a #1 hit simultaneously on the Billboard Hot 100 and Mainstream Rock singles chart with "Black Cat" in 1990.

Brother Michael Jackson claims in his "Home Movies" documentary in 2003 that Janet emulated his choreography from his "Captain EO" short movie into her "Rhythm Nation" music video which she choreographed with Anthony Thomas four years later.

Has homes in Los Angeles, New York and Atlanta (with beau Jermaine Dupri).

Holds the record for most weeks spent at #1 on the R&B chart for her 1994 single, "Any Time, Any Place."

Has always wanted and still wants to go back school to study law.

The Rhythm Nation world tour was the most successful debut tour from any artist

Used to want to be a jockey when she was a little child but has been scared to ride horses since Christopher Reeve's accident.

The film clip "Again" was originally supposed to have Janet wearing her PJ's when she was sitting near her bed because that's what she was wearing when she was writing the song for Justicia poética (1993).

Named #37 in FHM's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2005" special supplement. (2005)

Is mentioned in Eminem's song "Ass like that"

In Japan, she appeared in a television commercial for Pepsi-Cola with Ricky Martin in 1999. She also appeared in another Japanese TV ad back in 1990 for Japan Airlines.

She had endorsements with PepsiCo, American Airlines and Revlon.

Growing up before being a singer, Janet has always wanted to work at a McDonald's Drive-Thru window.

Ranked #10 on VH1's 100 Sexiest Artists.

Rejected a role in Matrix (1999) to go on a concert tour.

She was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 1500 Vine Street in Hollywood, California.

The Jacksons were awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 1500 Vine Street in Hollywood, California.

Younger sister of Michael Jackson.

In the late '80's, for a period of several months on a weekly basis, Janet Jackson was hospitalized at Brotman Hospital in Culver City, California.

Aunt of Yashi BrownAustin BrownDealzJermajesty JacksonStevanna JacksonJaafar JacksonDonte JacksonGenevieve JacksonTaryll Jackson, and Toriano Jackson.

Recording her 8th studio album set to be released in early 2004 [August 2003]

Will be releasing her new album "Damita Jo" on March 30th. [February 2004]

Has signed on to Island Records to work on a new album. [August 2007]

Is working on her new album. [April 2005]

Released first album with Island Records; Discipline [February 2008]

Will release her new album tentatively called "20 years Old" in September. The album is a celebration of her Control album released 20 years ago. [April 2006]

When Janet appeared on the controversial cover of "Rolling Stone" magazine (September 1993), she was topless except for the hands of then husband Rene Elizondo who had 'hand-cupped' her breasts for the shot as captured by photographer Patrick DeMarchelier.




Personal Quotes 
You don't have to hold onto the pain to hold onto the memory

We all have the need to feel special

In complete darkness, it is only knowledge and wisdom that separates us

[recalling the day her father told her to stop calling him Dad] I will never forget that. I was really young, about 6 or 7, and as a kid, that was very hurtful to me. I went through a lot, from age 15 to about 19 years. I was very young. I used to hurt so badly that I'd ask God, "Why, what have I done to deserve this?"

[on her 1997 recording "The Velvet Rope"] We're all driven to premieres or nightclubs and seen the rope separating those who can enter and those who can't. Well, there's also a velvet rope we have inside of us, keeping others from knowing our feelings. In this album I'm trying to expose and explore those feelings. I'm inviting you inside my barrier. During my life I've been on both sides of the rope. At times, especially during my childhood, I felt left out and alone. At times I felt misunderstood . . . But no human heard those feelings expressed. They stayed buried in the past. But now the truth has to come out, and for me, the truth takes the form of a song.

[1993 interview in Rolling Stone] It made me so happy. On my song "Whoops Now,' I even used the lyrics, "I'm out in the sun having fun with my friends". There's also The Turtles' "Happy Together" and The Association's "Windy" and Simon and Garfunkel's "Feelin' Groovy". Those songs are all precious moments to me. They're about just plain feeling good.

I was very independent growing up, but there were things that were bothering me that I never told anybody. I would talk to our animals at home. We had fawns that Michael [brother Michael Jackson] and I raised until we weaned them and we'd feed them every morning. And I would talk to them . . . I felt they understood me. We had four dogs, and I would climb in the bushes and sit down and speak with them . . . and that's how I dealt with my life in the very, very beginning, when I was a kid.

I was never pushed into the religion by my mother or anyone else. I made up my own mind when I was old enough. I am not a religious person, but I am spiritual. But I don't believe in things like guilt. I believe in a higher power. I believe in inspiration.

[on Rene Elizondo] I've been very fortunate to have found someone who has been so incredibly caring . . . I don't think anybody else would have stuck around because I had some really difficult times . . . and I know he probably would wake up and say, "Okay, who is she today?" I think anyone else would have said, "You know what? I am out of here because I cannot take this". But he was there, right by my side the entire way.

I set out to please myself, hopefully in the end, the listeners will enjoy what I've created.

If I wasn't singing, I'd probably be, probably an accountant.

Dreams can become a reality when we possess a vision that is characterized by the willingness to work hard, a desire for excellence, and a belief in our right and our responsiblity to be equal members of society.

[on Jermaine Dupri] You know that it's something different when your whole family falls in love with him, when your brothers and sisters love him. And with me having eight brothers and sisters, there are some major eyes on him. And they all adore him. So that's really good.

[on people disapproving of Jermaine Dupri] People need to stay out of other people's business. Honestly, how can they say what is a good match for me and what is a good match for him? They really don't know us. That's for us to decide. They need to stay out of other's people's business and deal with their own issues.

Getting back to that child and giving the child what the child may have missed - the reassurance of a nourishing and accepting love, a love that says you are special - is hard work. It can be scary, but like the song says, we have to deal with the past to live completely -and freely - in the present.

Life is a journey, and I'm still walking it. And, like everyone, I'm going to have some days that are better than others, some days that are tougher than others. But I'm in a much happier place, the happiest place I've ever been in my life, and that's why it feels so good to me, finally being able to say I do like who I am.

We are a nation with no geographic boundaries, bound together through our beliefs, we are like minded individuals sharing a common vision, pushing toward a world rid of color lines.

To a world sick with racism, get well soon.

We had the kind of night were morning comes to soon....we used the light from a flickering candle across the room to make the kind of shadows that only one thing could make....love.

Pain like water it dry away so love come in without pain how can love think about.

I kinda see everyone as competition. I'm a very competitive person. But I think that's good. Competition is great. And as long as it's friendly and not a malicious thing, then I think it's cool.

I also experienced serious rejection. I auditioned for dozens of commercials, for example, but was never chosen. That might have devastated other children, but somehow my attitude was 'well if I don't get this one, I'll get the next'. Looking back, I see I had a built-in toughness.

There was also loneliness. I had few friends. Work consumed me. in some ways, it still does.

I was sheltered by my parents, work and school. I walked out into the world and saw things I'd only read about. I learned the hard way. It was scary, but I saw I had two choices - sink or swim. I swam. And discovered I could actually make it to the shore, all on my own. Not that I wasn't frightened or didn't experience moments of panic. I did.

Being from a famous family is a blessing. I'm challenged to live up to the expectations. I'm happy, grateful for what I've inherited and excited about what I want to contribute.

The pain is necessary. Sometimes pain is the teacher we require, a hidden gift of healing and hope.

After my disillusionment, I felt hollow inside, as though someone had scooped out my soul. It took a while, but deep within I discovered a core of determination I never knew existed. That's when I got serious about myself and my career. I saw what I needed to do, and I did it.

All kids rebel. My way was to dye my hair half pink and half blue. It was a mess.

Freedom means choices.

My dad taught us that there's no greater distance than that between first and second place.

Self-expression is my goal, I want to be real with my feelings. Singing and dancing-and all the joy that goes with performing- come from my heart. If I can't feel it, I won't do it.

A lot of times I felt so alone. But I also thought there has to be other people that have experienced either what I have, or close to it.

Another side to me is this very sexual being. When I look back on my life, it's always been there. It's been there since I was 10 years old, having the imagination that I had.

I am the baby in the family, and I always will be. I am actually very happy to have that position. But I still get teased. I don't mind that.

I love working with organizations. I love giving. I want to do more of that. You got to give back. I love helping people, especially children.

People do see me as sweet and innocent. Not to say that I am not those things. But I have other sides to me.

Big sisters and brothers... I am telling you, it never changes.

I've never been into what am I going to do next, trying to reinvent myself.

I have a pretty bad temper. But you have to really push me to see it. But everybody has their things.

I had a pretty sexual imagination for a kid.




Salary 
Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000) $5.000.000