Michael Phelps (info)

Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps
Michael Fred Phelps II was born in Towson, Maryland, to Deborah Sue (Davisson), a middle school principal, and Michael Fred Phelps, a state trooper. Before the 2004 Olympics started, rumor had it that 19 year-old Phelps was thinking of trying to match or even surpass Mark Spitz's legendary seven gold medals record. By his fourth race with one gold and two bronze it was obvious he couldn't tie it but instead he could match Russian gymnast's Alexander Dityatin's record of eight medals in one Olympics. Every race after the two bronze he came away with gold. After his seventh race he did a truly noble thing by handing over his butterfly leg on the 4 x 200m Freestyle relay to Ian Crocker a temporary rival and now a friend. To everyone this was deemed the most selfless act of the games but to Michael it was just giving his team mate another chance. Throughout the entire week of competition he barely managed to sleep so when he finally got to rest he went to check out how the dominant women's teams were doing and enjoying the culture and atmosphere in Athens. The success in Athens was amazing. He surpassed fellow American, Mark Spitz's record of 7 gold medals, that were set in the 1972 Olympic Games, at Munich, Germany, 36 years earlier. In Beijing 2008: Games of the XXIX Olympiad (2008), after record tying seventh gold medal, Mark Spitz personally called Michael Phelps and congratulated him for his historic feats and records, he achieved in Beijing, China, were well watched as Mark Spitz's record were tied and broken, by Phelps, as he and teammates were 8 for 8, in 2008. All are first place gold medals! - IMDb Mini Biography By: Annie Bansmer






Trade Mark 
His black Cadillac Escalade

The Condor Flap: to loosen up for a swimming competition, he bends over and flaps his long arms up and down like a large bird.

Eight For Eight in 2008!







Trivia
Siblings: 2 sisters, Whitney Phelps (born in 1978) and Hilary Phelps (born in 1980).

Parents: Fred and Debbie Phelps (divorced).

He won 6 gold and 2 bronze medals at the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Greece.

Sponsors: Speedo, Omega, AT&T, Powerbar, Visa, Argent Mortgage

He was the youngest male Olympian since 1932 (he was only 15 when he made it in the 2000 Olympics).

Has a street named after him in his hometown Towson, Maryland.

First person under one minute and 55 seconds in 200m fly with world record swim.

His sister, Whitney Phelps, was a member of the 1995 World Championship team.

Became the youngest male swimmer ever to set a world record at the age of 15 years and nine months, breaking the record in the 200m butterfly.

Attending the University of Michigan (2004)

"Phelps Flys", winning 8 medals at the 2004 Olympics, was ranked #17 in TV Guide's list of the "25 Most Awesome Sports Moments (of the last 15 years)". [17 July 2005 issue]

Winner of the "Sports - Choice Athlete (male)" category at the 2005 Teen Choice Awards.

His feet have been referred to as "fins" by the media, because he wears a size 14 shoe. His wing span measures in at 6 foot 7 inches.

Graduated from Towson High School (2003).

World Swimmer of the Year in 2003, 2004 and 2006.

Has won 17 titles at World Championships between 2001 and 2007.

Grew up in the Rodgers Forge section of Towson, Maryland, just outside of Baltimore.

Made history at the Beijing Olympic Games when he became the first athlete in history to win 8 gold medals at a single Olympic game. He also broke the record for the most Olympic medals won, bring his total from his 3 Olympic appearances to 16.

He has the prototypical swimmer body, he has an extremely long torso; that of a 6 foot 8 person. Whereas his legs are shorter, only that of a 6 foot person. This helps him keep his head above water in his signature event, the 100M butterfly.

Swims about five hours a day and eats up to 10,000 calories a day.

Has double-jointed knees and elbows, which plays a role in his famous dolphin-like kick in the water.

Phelps came in second to Ryan Lochte in the 400-meter individual medley qualifying race. Both men claimed the first two spots on the 2012 Olympic swim team to be held in London, England. With this qualifying, Phelps holds the record for men for going to four Olypics in swimming representing the United States.

33 World Champs LCM medals (26 Gold, 6 Silver, 1 Bronze).

22 Olympic Games medals (18 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze).

Four-time Olympian (2012, 2008, 2004, 2000).

Release of his book, "No Limits: The Will to Succeed" by Michael with Alan Abrahamson.

Baltimore, Maryland [November 2008]

Resting up a sore back at home and getting ready to start training at University of Michigan. [October 2004]

Release of the book, "Michael Phelps" by Jeffrey Zuehlke.

Release of the book, "Michael Phelps" by Jeffrey Zuehlke.

Appeared in an infomercial, hosted by Tracy Gallagher and Duane Sider, for the "Rosetta Stone" language learning software.

He is of English, as well as Irish, German, Scottish, and Welsh, ancestry.







Personal Quotes 
Winning the gold in Greece was a dream come true but going on this tour with Ian and Lenny and meeting the young swimming stars of tomorrow has been simply incredible.

I have my family and friends, so really I'm just another high school kid.

I listen to Eminem on my headphones. I don't know the name of it but I think that just listening to that fires me up. It's working so far I just hope it keeps up.

If I go to the beach, I don't go in the ocean. I spend enough time in the water.

[on competing in the London Olympics, 2012] It's hard to compare myself now to 2008. My goals are different. This is the closure. It's really, how many toppings do I want on my sundae?

[Wednesday, August 13th, 2008, 4th gold medal after 200 meter butterfly win] I couldn't see anything for the last 100, my goggles were pretty much filling up with water. To be honest, I was having trouble seeing the walls.

[Wednesday, August 13th, 2008, after relay win of 4 by 200 meter, shortly after 200 meter butterfly (solo) & 5th gold medal] We wanted to break seven minutes. That was our goal going into today. ... It definitely feels good to be the first group, first country to ever dip the seven-minute barrier.

[Friday, August 14th, 2008, 6th gold medal after 200 meter individual medley] I had no time. The (gold) medal was in my warm-up jacket.

[After tying Mark Spitz's record of 7 gold medals in Munich, 1972, on Saturday, August 16th, 2008] When I did chop the last stroke, I thought that had cost me the race.But it was actually the opposite. If I had glided, I would have been way too long. I took short, faster strokes to try to get my hand on the wall. I ended up making the right decision.

[Sunday, August 16th, 2008 after winning 8th gold medal in 8th event, the 4 by 200 surpassing Mark Spitz's, seven gold medals in 1972] It's been such an unbelievable roller coaster. It's been such an unbelievable ride. With so many people saying it couldn't be done, all it took was a little imagination. I don't know what to feel right now. It's so emotional. All I want to do is see my mom.

[after winning 1st of 8 gold medals, Sunday August 10th, 2008] I wasn't comfortable after the first 200. I think it made my breaststroke stronger ... coming home in the freestyle it's all adrenaline.

[Monday, August 11th, 2008, gold medal # 2: quote to Bob Bowman] This morning, (Coach) Bob (Bowman) had said the French was saying some stuff, talking a little bit of trash. It fired me up more than anyone else.

[Tuesday, August 12, 2008 & 3rd gold medal] I wanted to jump on the first 100 just to see what happened. The guys in the middle of the pool really wouldn't be able to see me. By the time they did, hopefully I had enough ground where I could hold them off.

(Gifs and photos: source_Tumblr and google) birthdays